Expert perspective on management and treatment of acute urinary tract infections in postmenopausal women.
Review highlights available treatment options and their limitations and provides direction for investigation of future novel combination therapies to further aid in the treatment of Enterococcus faecalis infective endocarditis.
Patients with herpes simplex virus infections may have a 2.56-fold increased risk for developing dementia, and using antiherpetic medications may decrease dementia risk.
Results strongly support the avoidance of colistin-carbapenem combination therapy for carbapenem-resistant A baumannii infections regardless of the infection source.
Results showed that trimethoprim was associated with greater risk for acute kidney injury and hyperkalemia compared with other antibiotic drugs for UTI in older adults.
The findings of this study indicated that rifampicin therapy significantly increased the risk of overall failure and relapse compared with streptomycin.
Use of prophylactic antimicrobial therapy was not associated with a reduction in mortality or transfer to critical care compared with patients managed with supportive care only.
Eggerthella lenta displays high minimal inhibitory concentrations to piperacillin-tazobactam (TZP), and empiric TZP monotherapy is a risk factor for 30-day mortality.
Further studies are required to evaluate the effectiveness of the ivermectin schedule for treatment of strongyloidiasis, and quantitative methods of high sensitivity and accuracy are needed to monitor treatment success or to predict reactivation.
The FDA has accepted and granted priority review for TPOXX, an antiviral therapy for smallpox.
As first-line treatment for human African trypanosomiasis requires administration in a hospital by trained personal, a short-course oral option presents significant advantages for managing patients with this tropical disease.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Generic HIV Medicines: Boon or Bust?
- Insulin-Treated Diabetes Reduces Dysglycemia-Related Mortality in Sepsis
- It Costs $2.2 Billion a Year to Treat Antibiotic Resistance
- Pregnancy May Be Independently Associated With Prolonged Detection of Zika Virus RNA
- Tricyclic Antidepressants May Reduce Cirrhosis Risk in Hepatitis C
- Clostridium difficile Infection in the Intensive Care Setting
- Combating Medically Important Antibiotic Use in Food-Producing Animals
- Religious Exemptions vs Mandatory Vaccinations: An Expert Perspective
- 2018 Vaccination Schedule: Adults
- Fingerstick Point-of-Care Test Allows for Single-Visit HCV Diagnoses
- Glecaprevir/Pibrentasvir Highly Efficacious for HCV/HIV Coinfection
- Fluoroquinolone Use May Increase Risk for Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Reduced Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in DAA-Treated HCV Infection
- Paracetamol Overuse During Cold and Flu Season
- C difficile Risk Higher With Stoma Reversal vs Colectomy