Generic Name and Formulations:
Lipase/protease/amylase; 4000Units/8000Units/8000Units, 13800Units/27600Units/27600Units, 20700Units/41400Units/41400Units, 23000Units/46000Units/46000Units; del-rel caps; e-c minitabs in caps.
Indications for ULTRESA:
Treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis, or other conditions.
Adults and Children:
Start at the lowest recommended dose and increase gradually. Individualize based on clinical symptoms, the degree of steatorrhea present, and the fat content of the diet. Swallow whole; do not crush or chew caps. May mix contents with applesauce or other acidic soft food (pH≤ 4.5); swallow mixture immediately, follow with water or juice; take with meals; do not let any drug remain in mouth. ≤12mos: 4000 lipase units per 120mL of formula or per breastfeeding; give prior to each feeding, do not mix directly. >12mos–<4yrs: initially 1000 lipase units/kg per meal. ≥4yrs: initially 500 lipase units/kg per meal. Max (>12mos): 2500 lipase units/kg per meal (or ≤10000 lipase units/kg/day), or <4000 lipase units/g fat ingested/day. See full labeling.
Not interchangeable with other pancrelipase products. Fibrosing colonopathy (with high doses); risk of stricture formation (monitor). Pork allergy. Potential viral transmission. Gout. Renal impairment. Hyperuricemia. Contents irritating to oral mucosa. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Pancreatic enzymes (porcine).
Headache, pharyngolaryngeal pain, epistaxis; allergic reactions.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Infectious Disease Advisor Articles
- Antibiotic Use in Neonatal Settings in Need of Improvement
- Whole Genome Sequencing Use in Predicting TB Resistance
- Rapid Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on Urine Directly Accelerates Results
- Antibiotics May Be Beneficial in Children With Prolonged Wet Cough
- Emergency Department Overcrowding Associated With Delayed Antibiotics in Patients With Sepsis
- Success With DAA for Hepatitis C Prior to Stem Cell Transplant
- Shorter Antibiotic Course Noninferior for Gram-Negative Bacteremia
- Dolutegravir Plus Lamivudine Promising for HIV Maintenance Therapy
- Trial Results Affected by Heterogeneous CAP Inclusion Criteria
- Screening Blood Donations Mitigates Transfusion-Transmitted Babesiosis Risk